Monday, August 23, 2010

A Sweet and Tangy Red Juice

I’ve talked about my time every week in Boston on several occasions and there’s always something to learn from it for me. I work not far from a few small but good restaurants and although I mostly bring my food with me for two days of work, I will sometimes eat out. Around the corner from the office is a place called the Blue Shirt Café that makes salads, wraps, soups, smoothies, and juices. Before leaving Boston one week, I designed my own fresh juice of beets, carrots, cucumber, lime, and ginger and I instantly fell in love with it!! It’s a beautiful, vibrant red from the beets and carrots, it's sweet, it’s tangy, it’s got a little bite from the ginger, and it’s refreshing. In fact, drinking this on my ride home has become habit–almost ritual, and when I get home I feel fabulous. It keeps me from getting hungry without weighing me down, loads me up with energy, and alleviates any sweet attacks that may be lurking. I enjoy it so much that I’ve begun to make it at home. And it’s great with a scoop of green powder to boost the already abundant levels of nutrients. This is one of those habits that I’m so glad I’ve adopted!! So here it is...


Red Juice

1 raw beet, top and bottom removed and mostly peeled

1 large cucumber, quartered

4 medium carrots

½ lime, much of the skin removed

2” piece of fresh ginger

If using organic vegetables, wash well and remove any stems. If not organic, peel the vegetables and remove most of the skin from the ginger and lime. Run everything through a juicer, or blend in a blender, then strain. If desired, add your favorite green powder. Enjoy immediately!!

No comments:

Post a Comment