Monday, July 25, 2011

Watermelon Tomato Gazpacho

The other day on The Daily Detox I posted a link to several cold soup recipes from Eating Well Magazine designed to help us beat the heat that’s been hovering in the high 90s here! As a gazpacho lover, I immediately decided to try their Watermelon Gazpacho recipe although I couldn’t resist, I had to make a few changes (like add tomatoes : ) Because of the beautiful, colorful produce around this time of the year, I thought yellow watermelon, orange tomatoes, and red pepper would make a vibrant, tasty soup, and it sure did! I also added a little garlic to give it a little kick. So, here is my version of the soup:

Watermelon Tomato Gazpacho

4 cups diced, seedless watermelon

2 small to medium cucumbers, washed and finely diced (I did not peel them)

1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped

½ c fresh basil, stems removed and chopped

¼ c fresh parsley leaves

1 small red onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

3 T balsamic vinegar

2 T extra virgin olive oil

1 t sea salt or to taste

Mix the ingredients together, except the watermelon, then add them to a food processor (this can be done in two batches). Process the mixture into finely chopped pieces, then add half of the watermelon and process briefly to incorporate. Transfer the soup into a glass or ceramic bowl and repeat the process with the other half of the ingredients. Refrigerate until chilled, then serve cold.

This was so light and refreshing! I even had it over cold quinoa for a heartier meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment