Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Grilled Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad

The other day, I found this simple recipe online on a blog that I can’t find so I began searching and realized that there are variations of this recipe everywhere! The most similar recipe I found to the one I made below is from Paula Deen. It’s the first recipe I’ve ever seen of hers that didn’t call for butter. Seriously, I love her bubbly personality and her recipe sounds delicious!! She adds oil and the lime zest, which I didn’t do. The zest would taste great and I don’t think the oil is necessary because the avocado gets creamy and serves as a fat. But a little olive oil wouldn’t hurt. And since it’s summer, I also took advantage of fresh corn that I grilled and removed from the cobs. This is so simple and so tasty as a side dish, or for lunch. I would even eat it as a snack.


Grilled Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad

4-5 ears of corn, grilled and removed from the cobs (*see instructions below)

~20 cherry tomatoes cut in half lengthwise, or 2 medium tomatoes, cut into chunks

½ medium red onion, diced

handful of fresh cilantro, washed, dried, and coarsely chopped

juice of 1 lime

sea salt to taste

1 avocado

In a medium bowl, mix the corn, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime, and sea salt and mix well. Chill for at least 30 minutes. Just before serving, chop the flesh of the avocado into small pieces and add to the salad. Stir well so that the avocado gets a little creamy. Serve immediately.

*To grill corn, pull back the husk and remove the corn silk. Replace the husk, then soak the ears in cold water for a few minutes. On a grill set to medium heat, place the husks directly on the bottom rack, or wrap each ear in foil first then place them on the grill. They will have to be checked often and turned. Alternatively, place the ears in a baking pan, cover with foil, and place on the grill. Check after 15 minutes. They should be tender and plump. Remove from the heat and let cool before cutting kernels off the cob.

No comments:

Post a Comment